Thursday, August 28, 2008

Waxing and Glazing

I'm planning on doing a test raku firing this Sunday.  I threw and bisque fired some test pieces to try out a few glazes.  I have three glazes that I'm trying.  The formulas are:

Red, Blue, Black
Gerstley Borate 70.0
Ball Clay 30.0
Tin Oxide 1.5
Copper Carbonate 5.0

White Cracke
Gerstley Borate 65.0
Tennessee Ball Clay 5.0
Nephaline Syenite 15.0
Tin Oxide 10.0
Flint 5.0

Hawaiian Copper Blue
Gerstley Borate 80.0
Bone Ash 20.0
Copper Carbonate 5.0
Cobalt Oxide 2.5
Tin Oxide 1.3

When it comes to waxing pots for glazing I prefer paraffin wax for the bottoms.  I find that paraffin wax is easier to work with.  It dries faster and goes on a little thicker.  I have also found that glaze wipes off easier than with resist.  To apply the paraffin wax I use a hot plate and pan (see below).  If I do any detail work I will use wax resist (I'm currently buying it from Axner).  


Here are all of the test pots with wax applied

Glazing...

Here are all the test pots glazed and drying...ready for the firing on Sunday

I applied the glaze a little thicker on three of the pots to see what I get.  I will also play around with the amount of reduction.  I will post photos of the firing and final results Sunday evening. See you then!

No comments: