Sunday, August 31, 2008

Raku Firing Results

It was quite windy today which almost caused me to postpone the firing.  The wind slowed a little in the late afternoon and I decided to go for it.  The firing gave me some mixed results but it was a good step towards obtaining consistent outcomes.  I fired a total of six pieces (using three glazes).  Here were the results:

Firing #1
Glaze:  Hawaiian Blue Glaze
Glaze Application:  Thin (1 dip)
Reduction:  Very little newspaper.  Light reduction.
Comments:  Nice mix of color.  Would like more blue and red.

Glaze:  Red, Blue, Black
Glaze Application:  Thin (1 dip)
Reduction:  Very little newspaper.  Light reduction.
Comments:  Apparently the bottom had a heavier reduction. This glaze will come out green if there's not enough reduction. I didn't use enough combustibles in the can.

Glaze:  White Crackle
Glaze Application:  Thin (1 dip)
Reduction:  Very little newspaper.  Light reduction.
Comment:  Good crazing (crackle) pattern in most areas. Some areas had little to no crazing. This glaze is best when applied thick. This thin application didn't do so well but I expected that.

Firing #2
Glaze:  Hawaiian Blue Glaze
Glaze Application:  Thick (2 dips)
Reduction:  Very little newspaper.  Light reduction.
Comments:  Nice blend of colors but they are less pronounced than the previous firing. I think a thinner coating of glaze works best but I need to play around more with the reduction.

Glaze:  Red, Blue, Black
Glaze Application:  Thick (2 dips)
Reduction:   Lots of newspaper.  Heavy reduction.
Comments:  The addition of a lot of combustible material really made a difference. This glaze is usually best with a thinner application but this one came out nicely. I put two pictures of it below because it's very difficult to see all of the colors in a photo. As I held it and moved it around tons of colors would appear and disappear as it moved and interacted with the light.

Here's another shot from a different angle

Glaze:  White Crackle
Glaze Application:  Thick (2 dips)
Reduction:  Sawdust.  Heavy reduction.
Comments:  Much better with a thicker coat! Great crazing pattern. Overall I was very happy with the results except for one thing:  there was a light brown coloring over some of the piece. A local raku potter and friend of mine, Colquitt Tanner, told me that you can remove such things with a small blow torch. It did work but it also affected the crazing. I will have to research this and try to find a better solution to eliminating this residue/coloring.


Overall I was pleased with the outcome of the firings.  I learned something and that's always a plus.  I have some other raku pieces that need to be bisque fired.  More raku tests coming up!

I threw for the first time today using the Ellen Buff clay I purchased yesterday.  Very nice.  I love opening a new bag of clay.  It was so soft and easy to work with.  I absolutely love smelling new clay and getting my hands in it.  Talk with you soon.


1 comment:

Ben Stark said...

Hey! I just tagged you!

http://www.starkspots.blogspot.com/