Sunday, August 30, 2009

Why Are My Plates Exploding???

I bisqued a load of pots a couple of days ago. When I opened the kiln this afternoon I noticed several of the plates had literally exploded. These plates were ones to which I applied slip. I threw the plates using Highwater Raku clay and then put Highwater Helios porcelain slip on the inside of the plates. I'm 99.99% sure the plates were completely dry at the time of firing. They had been sitting on a shelf in the studio for over a week (in Florida with no central AC).

Has anyone experienced such a problem? Could it be a difference in shrinkage rate? Could it be that some moisture was still present?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

cookingwithgas said...

a little late on this but we use to blow up pots all the time.
I now let pots dry longer, preheat for at least 3 hours in the kiln the day before and do a slower cycle then I use to.
Long and slow is my moto and I have not blown up a pot in awhile.