Thursday, May 13, 2010

More Kiln Repair

Not only did my electric kiln require repair but I discovered that my Olympic Torchbearer gas kiln wasn't working properly either. They way the Torchbearers work is that you ignite the pilot ring located below the kiln. This keeps the four main burners firing should one go out. This is accomplished by holding down a red button on the baso-magnetic value. After 30 seconds or so a magnetic value causes the gas supply to the ring to be continuous. This also enables the firing of the main burners. After some troubleshoot I discovered the baso-magnetic valve was no longer functioning properly. Here's a picture of the baso-magnetic valve:

I called Olympic Kilns and the technician I spoke with was very helpful. He said, if not covered properly, water can get down into the valve through the button assembly. I had not been covering my kiln well enough and I'm positive this is what happened. I had to order a new bas0-magnetic valve ($105.00). It arrived within a few days and installation took about five minutes. The kiln is now working properly.

Since this event I cover the kiln much better than before to assure this problem doesn't occur in the future.

I have wrapped the baso-magnetic valve especially well:

I hope this information helps anyone with a Torchbearer kiln. Keep it covered well!

3 comments:

Undaunted said...

How bizarre for both of them to stop working at the same time! Glad it's back up and runnng again!

Mike said...

The worst part was that I was preparing to attend the Charlie and Linda Riggs 'Alternative Firings' workshop in Atlanta. We were supposed to bring 8 - 10 bisqued pots. I procrastinated and waited until a few days before I had to leave. I loaded the electric kiln and discovered it wasn't work. So, I decided to bisque them in the gas kiln....nope! I ended up rigging the electric kiln to work. I will not cut it that close again!

Rob Addonizio from Taiko-Earth said...

Mike,
Thanks so much for this info. My kiln, although it has yet to be actually fully used in a firing, is under a metal enclosure. I do not think it will get wet, but I think since it is outside with humidity and such I will also be covering it like yours. Thanks again!