Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reclaiming Clay

Until recently I didn't have a way to reclaim the clay I discarded. I threw it out. Don't get me wrong - there wasn't much waste. I throw out very little. A couple of weeks ago I bought some plaster and made a couple of plaster slabs. Now I can reclaim my clay after it dries on the plaster boards. Here is my discarded Ellen Buff clay that is drying out to be wedged, kneaded, and used again:
I will be attending a reduction firing workshop at John Britt's studio next month. This is in preparation for construction (and firing) of my own gas kiln once I get back. I have only fired in an electric kiln so far and I'm looking forward to being able to fire in reduction. My friend John Tilton gave me a bag of cone 10 porcelain clay to make a few pots and test tiles to take to the workshop. The clay was formulated for John by Miller Clay. It throws very nicely! Here are some test tiles I made yesterday:
That's all for now. See you soon.

No comments: