Saturday, September 27, 2008

More Preparation

It's been a busy week at work so I haven't been in the studio very much. Yesterday I did manage to throw a few mugs. I haven't been too happy with the shape of the mugs I've been throwing lately. I have a ton of cups from other potters that I love but I find myself struggling to develop 'my style'. I suppose the only way to get past it is to keep experimenting. I'm sure one will appear when I least expect it.

As a part of my preparations for testing new glazes I am analyzing everything I can that has an effect on glaze makeup, firing, etc. I have a computer controlled kiln but I plan on placing cones on each shelf (and in various positions on the shelves). My goal is to get as accurate of a picture as possible of what's happening in that kiln when firing. Yesterday I made cone supports for both the glaze and bisque firing.

As you can see, I have poked holes in the bases. Earlier this year during a raku firing the clay holding my cones burst. I thought all the moisture was out of them but apparently not. As a result two pieces were ruined. I got a recommendation from a potter to poke holes in the bases which really helps get the moisture out. We'll see how they do next week!

2 comments:

T.Gray said...

Mike, looking through your blog I would have to say you have the most organized studio I've ever seen! Here's a 5-6 glaze I used to depend on, an oatmeal colored matte...
...................
Oatmeal Matt
Whiting-20%
G200-28%
Alberta slip-28%
EPK-18%
Flint-6%
Add
Zinc oxide-9%
Ultrox-5%
Add
Cobalt carb.-.75% for light blue
........................
Also, nah, I'll probably not be baking pizza the weekend before Thanksgiving in Seagrove. BTW, I will not be attending the 27th annual Seagrove Pottery Festival at the elementary school. Instead I'll be participating in the Celebration of Seagrove Potters in a warehouse on the back side of the old Luck's beans plant on Hwy. 705. Hope to see you then, and thanks for posting on my blog!
Later-Tom

Ben Stark said...

For the cone packs, you can also just mix in a bunch of sand. I've put completely wet cone packs in with holes punched in and loaded with sand with no explosion.